Wednesday 26 August 2015

My Geek Box August 2015 Review

My Geek Box: August 2015 Review, 'Toons'


Link: www.mygeekbox.co.uk




I need to apologise for this review being slightly late - this box arrived last Friday but I've been insanely busy this week.

This is the last box of my 3 month subscription and the theme was 'Toons', which I was looking forward to far more than the previous 2 boxes.




The box was pretty full and very colourful - these guys always seem to do a good job of providing plenty of items, which makes it fun to unpack.




'Everything looks better in 2D' T-Shirt


I love this t-shirt so much! It's really simple but, for someone who loves animation as much as I do, it is really perfect. The sizing of the t-shirts these guys send out always seems to be exactly right and the quality is great.




Adventure Time Inflatable Sword


This makes me feel like a big kid but I secretly love it. Adventure Time is an amazing show for grown ups and children alike, so this is a really fun item.

A pic of the sword inflated:




I don't know how I'll ever explain to anyone why I own this item but I do really like it.




The Simpsons Donut Cushion


This is a really cute cushion and a really original way of incorporating one of the most classic animated shows ever into the box. I love things like this - subtle and functional, but nods towards something that I really enjoy.




Family Guy Socks


I love Family Guy, but this item really annoys me. Did they have to send out such an obviously gendered item? What was the point in sending enormous men's socks to a girl who ordered a women's small t-shirt? These will never fit me and I don't have any guys in my life who like this sort of thing. If they had to send out something with 'MENS SOCKS' emblazoned on it, then they should have checked on the gender of their customers beforehand. When it comes to wearables it should always be unisex or the company needs to ask in advance. I'm not comfortable with these because it reinforces the stereotype that women couldn't possibly want geeky items and therefore shouldn't be catered for. Not happy.




Adventure Time Festival Wristbands


These are so cute as a filler item. As I said before, I love Adventure Time so I'm pretty happy that there are two items in the box that relate to the show.




Minions Keyring


I know a lot of people hate the minions right now (because they are literally everywhere), but I am not one of those people and I think this is really cute. I like the design of this keyring and it seems surprisingly sturdy.




Gobstoppers


I actually never ate these as a child so I'm not 100% on what they are like, but I do always appreciate getting some sweets in a box.




WarHeads


I'd never had one of these either, but I love sour sweets so I ate it straight away. I was a bit too cocky and didn't think it could possibly be that sour - but they really are!


Overall:


This was my favourite My Geek Box out of the three that I had. I loved everything except the socks and thought it was really fun. Generally, with these boxes I get the feeling that they are aimed at a slightly younger audience than I am perhaps in the market for. I think this would be a great box to get if you have kids that you're trying to introduce to different geeky things.

Personally, I haven't been blown away by this subscription. The boxes have all been good, but none of them have been fantastic or overly memorable. Although I like a few fun items, I think I prefer boxes that cater to a more mature audience and skew more towards collectibles and comics than sweets and novelties.

My subscription has ended now, so this is my last My Geek Box review - for now at least. I'll keep an eye out for exciting exclusives or themes to review in the future, but I won't be resubscribing to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment