Thursday 21 May 2015

Loot Crate

LootCrate: Geeky Monthly Subscription Box Service (US)


Link: www.lootcrate.com

    The one box that I have ordered from the USA is Loot Crate. It costs $29.95 (USD), which is around £19, and charges nothing extra for shipping - which I thought was impressive for an overseas subscription box. They offer a ‘box of geek & gamer gear’ with a value of more than $40. No particular items are guaranteed in each box, so it truly does have that mystery element to it. Each month does have a theme though, with May 2015 being ‘UNITE’. I’m not too sure what that will entail, but it does suggest teamwork I guess – heroes that work together? Hints have been dropped that there will be items relating to DC, Marvel, Power Rangers, Bravest Warriors, Team Fortress 2 and Rick & Morty. For me, the real draw here is the Rick & Morty item. It will be a pretty big letdown if the item turns out to be a sticker or something equally disappointing.

    I’ll be honest, I’ve heard a real mixed bag of reviews for Loot Crate. They’re one of the most popular geek boxes out there, so they have naturally drawn a great deal of attention. I’ve taken a look at some of their past crates and I agree that they can be pretty hit or miss. Sometimes they do a really great box that has instant appeal, and other times I look at all the items and think ‘meh’. I think I might make this one into a bit of an ‘on and off’ kind of box, where I only activate my subscription of months that really appeal to me. I’ll have to wait and see what this box is like though – I’ll save my judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment